Old April 1st 21, 03:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

Default Replace Shimano 600EX crank set replacement

On Wednesday, March 31, 2021 at 1:00:32 PM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
On 3/31/21 12:00 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Monday, March 29, 2021 at 1:39:45 PM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
On 3/29/21 1:29 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/29/2021 3:19 PM, Joerg wrote:
On 3/29/21 12:56 PM, Joerg wrote:
On 3/29/21 10:45 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/29/2021 11:00 AM, Joerg wrote:
On 3/28/21 12:25 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/28/2021 2:13 PM, Joerg wrote:
On 3/28/21 4:29 AM, Lou Holtman wrote:
Op zaterdag 27 maart 2021 om 23:41:04 UTC+1 schreef
Joerg:
On 3/18/21 2:58 PM, Joerg wrote:
My chain rings are through again but replacements have
become expensive.
It's now much cheaper to buy a simple crank set of
another brand.
Preferably steel because aluminum wears so fast.
What I
have is:

Shimano 600EX, 52/42T, bottom bracket is 116mm JIS
taper.

What I'd like to replace it with is this Vuelta Corsa
set:

https://smile.amazon.com/Vuelta-8150...dp/B0081UV2NU/

Only 50T which is kind of ok but the 32T lower will
move
me up hills
much better. Getting old, and all that sort of thing.
However, says it's
for 110mm BB and I wonder if my chain line would go
out
of whack. I'll
ask on Amazon as well but usually there aren't good
answers that way.

My shifters are simple friction levers and the
front DR
cage looks tall
enough to handle the 50/32 step.

Do you guys think this would work?

Long story short, I ordered the 53/39T Version with
130mm
BCD - junk.
The cheap bolts were overtorqued and two of the Allen
inserts stripped.
Plus they didn't send Vuelta Corsa but some no-name
that
was quite
scuffed up. Goes back for a refund :-(
--
Regards, Joerg

That what I would expect from a 36 dollar
crankset....junk.

I have seen good ones in that range. What is cheap
were the
chain rings which are then steel. However, that's
right up
my alley because I am after durability and not a weight
weenie.

Thing is, what they sent were not Vuelta Corsa. Now
I'll be
looking for steel chain rings with 130mm BCD because my
cranks set itself is still good.

Given your riding conditions, style and comments here, $36
for two steel rings is a really good value to you. Recycle
the arms and you're still way ahead.

*nb* Steel rings are frequently thinner than aluminum
rings with a milled recess. This is shown mostly by the
chainring bolts being damaged from overtorque while the
rings still rattle. Check that and add a spacer under the
nut side as needed.

Darn, I already did the return thing. Mainly because I
could
not get two of the bolts out. They were overtorqued and
then
the hex pattern stripped out of the cheapo material. Could
have somehow drilled them out I guess. This also gave me
the
feeling that the steel rings are inferior material as well
and would wear off quickly.

Where wear is critical (high torque rider, excessive
dirt, high mileage etc) ...

That sounds like me :-)

 ... steel rings are an improvement. Notice that many
cranks come with pretty milled and pinned aluminum outers
but steel inners.

So far I haven't found much 130mm BCD stuff in steel. If I
really can't maybe I order that set again and then drill
out the bolts to scavenge the chain rings. It's probably
not very good steel but better than nothing.

P.S.: Aluminum chain rings have another major downside. They
cannot be turned around for a 2nd life because then the hole
recesses are on the wrong side.

Maybe, maybe not. I think you'll find most modern steel chainrings are
offset and also ramped for shifting.

These ones weren't offset but they were ramped. Shifting never bothered
me so I also turned individual sprockets in the cassette around, after
dremeling off part of the wider spline. On the 2h ride into Sacramento
that probably made me 500 milliseconds late :-)

On the road bike I don't shift much until I get back near home with some
steep climbs.

Joerge, I think that you're making a mistake looking for steel rings. Aluminum rings have had remarkable advancement in shifting and THAT is where most excessive wear occurs in the rings. The slight "give" in an aluminum ring actually reduces the wear on the chain itself. Thinking that the FSA rings would wear out I bought an extra set and after 4 years and a change in FSA standard chain arms, they have never been needed.

I wore through several aluminum rings from Shimano and now rings for the
600EX set seems to have become unobtanium unless I pay an obscene price.
I really do not care about shifting speed. I don't use the road bike on
dirt/gravel roads much anymore so not much shifting. Weight never
mattered to me either. My only concern is wear.

During my time at the university I rode around 6000mi/year and because
of rampant theft used old beater road bikes, cheap department store
bikes, for all commuting and the good bike (the one I still use now) for
touring, fitness and fun rides. The steel rings on the beater bikes
lasted a _lot_ more miles despite being of a very cheap variety.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

If I recall, you can get 130 mm rings from FSA for a more than reasonable price.