Old April 5th 21, 05:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

Default The Case for Di2.

On Monday, April 5, 2021 at 3:36:04 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Op zondag 4 april 2021 om 22:44:19 UTC+2 schreef :
On Sunday, April 4, 2021 at 8:10:06 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Op zondag 4 april 2021 om 17:03:03 UTC+2 schreef :
On Saturday, April 3, 2021 at 11:32:40 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Op zaterdag 3 april 2021 om 23:43:31 UTC+2 schreef :
I have been riding my Lemond Zurich with Di2 on it for several months now. While it is nice, I don't like 11 speeds and never did. So I think that I will return the bike to 10 speed Campy as soon as I get some of the other bikes out of the way. The full Di2 should recover more than enough money to offset the good Record parts. About the only thing I need is a set of Skeleton brakes and a compact front derailleur, both of which are easy and cheap to get.

The Felt is very close to being finished. The BB tool is supposed to be delivered today. I ordered a new set of Avid Hydraulic disk connectors. I carefully put the old one's in a place where I couldn't lose them and then forgot where that is. While most of my memories have returned there are still short term memory problems. That is a combination of the concussion and the medication to prevent seizures.

After finished I will take the Felt out for a test gravel ride to make sure no adjustments need be made. That is unlikely since the disk set-up doesn't need any adjustments and the XT flat bar shifter simply doesn't miss gears. I have never managed to wear out a set of Trigger Shifters. New 105 road shifters also work flawlessly but they wear out pretty fast (10,000 miles) and they are not repairable. 105 cranks also don't break like Dura Ace or Ultegra do. I have no idea of why Dura Ace cranks are so damn breakable. The hollow way in which they are made does not save much weight but makes them pretty unreliable. If you want to use the lighter cranks buy them from your dealer so that you have a warranty. If you're a hard rider or you do a lot of hard climbing there's no doubt that you will use that warranty A LOT.

After I'm sure of the Felt it will go on the market for a grand and a half. That will cover all of the bits and pieces and the Frameset which was $500 plus shipping and Gavin Loathsome' s sales taxes. The company I bought it from is a Felt dealer so it will have a warranty on it. That only covers me so that is why the test ride which will be pretty extensive. I have a local 35 0r 40 mile gravel ride. That leaves me with two Di2 bikes and they will sell as soon as the weather warms up.

The Eddy Merckx is waiting for room on the work stand. All it needs is the chain, cables and handlebar tape. I bought a set of Rock Brothers Look compatible Keo-type pedals. I was going to put them on the Trek Emonda which has Look Blade on them but it turns out that there is only 40 grams more weight on the Rock Bros. and they are adjustable breakout. That's the weight of one innertube.

After getting a headset on the Douglas I have everything else already. I even have a waxed chain on the hook. I was going to use Campy Proton wheels but they guy wouldn't come down $25 which is what he was going to charge for shipping. So what the hell, I have two sets of Carbon Aero wheels and I'll use that rather than buying anything.
You 'downgrading' the Lemond from 11 to 10 speed because you don't like that extra gear? Unbelievable. Is swapping parts over and over a hobby?

Lou
Trying to improve the performance of a bike is certainly a hobby. It is more than an extra gear Lou. There is always the possibility of pulling a wire or a battery going flat when I'm climbing and that is a real concern that you do not have with a cable control. What's more, the Campy 10 speed stuff is significantly lighter. That helps the rather high weight of the steel bike somewhat.
You sound like Frank, worrying about something almost never happens. I ride my Di2 cross bike for 7 years now in condition far worse than a road bike. No problems whatsoever and never had to adjust anything.

I fully realize that Lou. But after that one in a million shot of having an IRD fork improperly made and falling 2 feet on my head on the helmet and having a level 5 concussion and being in La-La-Land for 2 years and it taking me 10 years to fully recover the the point where I can lead rides again, I'm sensitive to things I probably shouldn't be. But I have no intensions of taking any more chances that can end in another horror show of any kind.

Ok. Maybe for fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n91tFafLouQ

Trying to break it isn't the same as whether it would break under use. I think that it is plenty reliable, Shimano knows how to build things. Hooking it up and reprogramming it wouldn't be a problem for me if I didn't have every space filled with bikes at the moment. Fortunately I have several inquiries. Hopefully they will turn into something.