Old April 5th 21, 11:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default tubeless or tubes

On Monday, April 5, 2021 at 2:14:43 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/5/2021 3:14 PM, bob prohaska wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:

I'm not aware of any of my riding friends using tubeless.

Nonetheless, tubeless tires have taken over most applications.
The exceptions are usually cases where rims can't be airtight.

What's the impediment for bicycles? Is it the extreme aspect
ratio of bike tires? Manufacturing tolerances? Rim construction?

Here's my guess: Unlike cars, trucks and motorcycles and Joerg, most
bicyclists are concerned with rolling resistance, whether they know that
or not. That means they would reject a super-thick tire even if it were
more flat proof.

And unlike cars, trucks and motorcycles, flat tires on bikes are pretty
easy to repair on one's own, by the side of the road.

So most bicyclists accept getting the occasional flat and just dealing
with it. When they hear the benefits touted for bike tubeless, they
doubt they're worth adopting a new system. And that's even before they
hear about the detriments, like flats that still occur, general
messiness, etc.

Again, that's my guess. I suppose someone selling bikes could say more
about customer viewpoints.

Tubeless is very popular with MTB and CX riders because it allows very low pressures without pinch flats, and with CX, it is still more convenient than tubulars. Specialized dumped road tubeless in two popular wheels in its OE Roval line because of end user difficulties (phrased somewhat differently in the article): https://cyclingtips.com/2020/06/rova...st-clx-wheels/ Whatever benefit there was with rolling resistance, it was far outweighed by issues inherent in the technology which requires more development -- or something.

I regret owning tubeless ready rims (HED Belgiums) because the tire beads weld to the seats -- they have shallow rim beds and are difficult to mount and remove tires. Great wheels but mounting and removing tires is a battle..

-- Jay Beattie.