Old April 7th 21, 12:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_7_]

Default Serious Tire Questions for the uninitiated

Lou Holtman wrote:
Op dinsdag 6 april 2021 om 18:16:54 UTC+2 schreef :
On Tuesday, April 6, 2021 at 9:05:18 AM UTC-7, Mark cleary wrote:
I notice that the Conti GP 5000 I have and even the old GP II 4's, have
a direction of rotation on the sidewall. Now mind you I so far have put
the tires with the proper rotational direction, but what happens if you
don't. My guess is if you put them on the opposite way then does the
bike go backwards when I start pedaling? Do the tires wear out
different, or possible be off balance. But seriously what is the catch?
Deacon Mark

Supposedly they are not supposed to have the same braking traction in
the reverse direction.

My complaints with them is that they wear so quickly. They DO have great
traction but I don't think that it is any better than the Michelin Pro4.
I have also used the Michelin Power Endurance and they work well too.
But the Pro4's have a more reasonable price and don't wear so quickly.

Another datapoint. I recently replaced the rear Continental GP5000 tire
(32 mm version) after the first flat after 5500 km. Best allround tire
IMO. I must admit that I seldom pay attention to the mounting direction
mainly because I'm too lazy to look for the hard to see arrow in bad
light conditions in my garage.

Lou

They certainly feel good so far. I’ll see how they last.

Shark fins tell you the direction.