Old April 12th 21, 07:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Rim for mountain bike for disk brakes

On Tuesday, April 6, 2021 at 6:59:02 PM UTC-4, AK wrote:
I have a 26 inch MTB.

I am thinking of converting the rear to disk brakes.

What kind of rim would I need?

Thanks.

A few years ago I bought an A2Z disc brake adapter

https://www.amazon.com/A2Z-Brake-Mou...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Amazon doesn't have them anymore, but I did see a few other on-line retailers (some of which seemed reputable).

It works ok, but I ran into two annoying issues:
- You have really clamp down the frame bolts, or the assembly will slide around. You learn the hard way to calibrate the brake with the assembly as far forward as possible, or aplying the brake forces the assembly forward and loosening the cable. Once that issue is squared away, Worst case is stopping on an uphill while using the rear brake to hold the bike. This forces the clamp away from the frame, pulling the cable tight and forcing the brake on to the effect that it locks the rear wheel without squeezing the lever. Once you really _really_ tighten the **** out of the frame bolts, it minimizes the problem.

- it only works with QR axles, (but if you have a bike with thru-axle or anything newer, you likely have disc mounting posts anyway) and you have to completely remove the QR skewer in order to get the rear wheel out.

Other than that it seems to work fine, definitely better than cantilevers. I have a beautiful Independent Fabrications Custom Deluxe Titanium 26" hardtail that rides like no other bike I've ever had. I couldn't bear to hang up the bike because of limited availability of higher-end rim brake wheels. I also have a C'Dale Habit 3 27.5. The rear braking is better on the C'dale mostly due to the fact that the C'dale has DEore XT hydraulics and I'm running Avid BB7 cables on the IF, but it's the rear brake, so adapting my riding style switching between the two has more to do with the shorter lighter IF hardtale versus the larger longer C'Dale FS than any issues with the rear braking modulation.