Old January 25th 09, 12:39 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

Default Cyclist hits granny in pavement crash in Brighton

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 22:59:37 +0000, Tony Dragon
said in
:

If you are correct, can you explain why none of my family have never had
a near miss with a car on the footway, but have had many with cyclists?

Probably something to do with the danger of motor traffic
encouraging cyclists to believe (wrongly) that they are at less risk
on the footway, a misapprehension actively supported by many
councils through the use of Magic White Paint.

In fact, I have been shouted at by a driver for not being on the
footway even when there is *no* Magic White Paint.

There is, too, the fact that you are clearly looking for this
behaviour and therefore noticing it.

And I somehow missed the large lumps of iron (cars) that you infer are
on the footway?

Like all the drivers who
complain about cyclists wearing dark clothing at night because it
makes them impossible to see.

Do you think cyclists should wear clothing that can be seen at night?

If it did, how would they know? It's
just the usual psychological targeting of an "out group".

Reduce the danger on the roads and I would like to suggest that the
problem of which you complain would reduce in equal measure. Worth
a try, yes?

Guy

Of course any safety measure would be worth a try, like for instance,
not cycling on footways.
--
Tony the Dragon