Old May 24th 18, 03:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default randonneur

On 5/23/2018 4:23 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:

What is the difference between touring and
randonneuring? Touring is shorter? How/why would this
impact the bike? I say the bike in the URL could be
used for touring as well, and actually most everyday
biking, and why not?

_Bicycle Quarterly_ magazine is probably the one American magazine most
concerned with randonneuring. Here's what they said in an online article
about "10 common misconceptions about randonneuring":

Misconception #3: "You need a special bike.

"Bicycle Quarterly has done a lot of research on what makes an optimized
randonneur bike, but you can use any bike for randonneuring. One of my
friends rode several seasons, including PBP, on a carbon-fiber LeMond
(above). Another friend rode a 1980s Trek on many brevets, including a
24-hour Flèche Vélocio. You can ride any bike.

"A true randonneur bike will be a bit faster, quite a bit more
comfortable, and probably more reliable, but you don’t have to have one.
Unlike racing, where a poor bike choice will have you dropped on the
first hill, randonneuring can be done on almost any bike."

See
https://janheine.wordpress.com/2015/...randonneuring/

Bicycles are very versatile. I know the bicycling industry would like
you to have one bike for riding to the grocery in the morning, and
another one for the afternoon; one for a clockwise route, another for a
counterclockwise route.

Loaded touring bikes are among the most versatile of all bikes. I think
their only real downside is a few pounds of extra weight. If that
bothers you, go on a diet before you ride.

--
- Frank Krygowski