Old May 24th 18, 06:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

Default randonneur

jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, May 23, 2018 at 1:23:48 PM UTC-7, Emanuel Berg wrote:
" writes:

[1] https://www.fahrradmanufaktur.de/en/...andonneur-2017

I asked a dealer on the way about tires, a 42 labeled tire that's really 40
is as much as he'd try to fit under the mini-V.

Looks like a loaded touring bike to me. Those are sold in the USA and
everywhere in the world. To me randonneur means something very
special and specific. Randonneuring is long distance cycling, 200 to
1200km, in a specific time limit. You carry minimal gear to make it
through the ride. NO ONE uses a loaded touring bike like you linked
to for randonneuring. Look at the bikes used on Paris Brest Paris,
the original randonneur ride, and you will not see any loaded touring
bikes. The bike you linked would be used on round the world tours
carrying four panniers, handlebar bag, and tent piled on top of the
rear rack. A heavy loaded touring bike. If that is what you want,
then just do a simple search for loaded touring bikes.

The bike has the word "randonneur" in it's designation which is French
and translates to long distance.

The bike, if I could afford it, would be packed with some 10-12 kg of
dry bags with a Trangia, a sleeping mat, a sleeping bag, a tent, toilet
stuff, some books, maps, and tools, and a couple of other things.

Even 15 kg of gear should fit on a lighter bike.

What is the difference between touring and randonneuring? Touring is
shorter? How/why would this impact the bike? I say the bike in the URL
could be used for touring as well, and actually most everyday biking,
and why not?

It is just a solid steel frame with fenders, lots of gears, some
comfort to the geometry and tires, and racks to hang luggage onto.
Unpacked, most people in the city wouldn't notice anything special
about it.

There are zillions of worthy touring bikes. Half the Soma range fits the
bills and for complete bikes, you can get uber adventure bikes from mundane places like REI. https://tinyurl.com/yat8eze6 Or a touring bike
from Trek, Cannondale, Fuji and on and on.

I'd look for used ones sold by riders who have switched to disk brakes.

Go to Performance and get a
dopey retro Fuji touring bike.
https://www.performancebike.com/shop...e-2018-31-8654

9sp bar-end shifters will last forever, and if the frame breaks in the
middle of nowhere, the local chieftains can weld it back together because
they all have MIG kits in their huts. Even cheaper at Nashbar.
https://www.bikenashbar.com/cycling/...ing-bike-nb-tr

Shipping to SWE:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/se/en/fuji-touring-road-bike-2018/rp-prod166407

BTW, Ikea is recalling Sladda bikes, drive belt might *snap*. Full refund,
but no belt replacement? Lovely sustainability!