Old June 8th 18, 01:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Hex Wrenches

On Thu, 7 Jun 2018 19:25:53 +0000 (UTC), David Scheidt
wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
:On Thu, 7 Jun 2018 17:53:42 +0000 (UTC), David Scheidt
wrote:

:I fail to understand the love for Wera drivers. They're really
:expensive for Chinese made tools, and not any nicer than what Bondhus
:sell.

:Wera tools are made in Czech Republic:
:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wera_Tools

Pull the other one. It's got bells on. They're assembled in CZ, what
that actually means isn't transparent, given the EUs horrible COO
regulations. (EU regulations let you put a "made in EU country"
sticker on something for export, even if the only operation done in
the EU was taking it out of a bulk box, putting the made in country
sticker on it, and putting it in an idividual box.. That's
improvement. Until recently you could claim "made in foo" if the
product had been to foo. A few countries had stronger rules.)
My educated suspicion is that the driver
blades come from the factories in China that Wera make bits in.
Handles are probaly czech.

Your comments about the EU might be true. I have no way of knowing
from here as I don't deal with any EU companies directly. I find it
strange that the EU beaurocracy, that micromanages every minute detail
of product manufacture from conception to recycling, would be so loose
on their labeling requirements. Is there a reason why the EU would
want or tolerate such deceptive labeling?[1]

You might want to reconsider after you watch this video:
"Production of Wera tools in the Czech Republic."
(translated from the original Polish):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8h7ELeEFIk (6:32)
The factory and workers are obviously doing more than assembling
handles and seem to not be in China. Some of the machines in the
video were cold heading and hot forging various hex head angle
wrenches.

[1] In the distant past, one of my marine radio products failed type
acceptance testing in France and England specifically because the
"Made in USA" label failed to include the periods in the U.S.A. It
also failed in France because the light dimmer dimmed to extinction,
as was required in other countries.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D