Old August 28th 18, 08:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Bus racks

On 2018-08-27 13:53, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Reading the thread about bus racks being to short for some bicycles
got me to thinking about how the bicycle is supported in the rack.
When I worked in bicycle shops we called those bicycle parking racks
with the two low hoops to hold the wheels "wheel benders" as we often
had wheel repairs that were caused by the sideways force on the
wheels. I wonder if bus racks have the same problem at times if that
front wheel hook is not supporting the bicycle from swaying a bit
side to side.

The wheel hook is what is supposed to prevent it from swaying. A wheel
itself can't. Just imagine: While the racks on our buses are barely
wide
enough to squeeze in my 2.25" wide rear tire a 25mm road bike tire
would
make the bike almost fall over, considering that the slot is just
around
4" deep. Some people who still run 23mm tires or even less would also
risk marring their rims badly when the sides of the rims would bang
against the steel tube of the rack rail all the time. You'd likely feel
the damage immediately the first time you use the rim brakes.

Another detail I noticed: The handlebar end of my MTB was very close to
the windshield of the bus. Scary. I watched it on the freeway and while
the bike "came closer" it didn't quite touch glass. Despite the
panniers. That only worked because I had shortened the handlebar
significantly a few months after I bought the MTB.

What would happen if the handlebar touched the glass?

Possibly a crack. Since it is curved glass that would cause an
expensive repair and loss of service costs while the bus is in the shop.

Don't you think the transit company would notice if that ever happened?

No. Because large MTB don't fit and most bus drivers would not allow
what ths one did. He was a cyclist himself.

You have a BIG tendency to operate on "might have" or "could have" worst
case scenarios...

I am an engineer who is trained to spot that stuff. It saves lives. Just
one example: I was ridiculed for insisting that a certain med equipment
be designed defibrillator-proof, ridiculed just like you keep doing.
"But even the standard does not require it!". I said else I will not
sign off on the design review and then it will not be built, period.
Lots of grumbling but we did it. Then came the day. One of our engineers
was witnessing the procedure. A patient unexpectedly went cardiac, the
doctor panicked, the nurses shouted to first disconnect the gear, the
doctor ignored it, applied the paddles and pushed the button. Our
engineer said he almost fainted. Nobody ever questioned again why
something needed to be defibrillator-proof when I brought it up.

... Or come to think of it, also imaginary best case scenarios, as in
"The profit from mountain bikers wanting to get to Placerville would be
HUGE!"

Those in charge tend to be a bit more realistic, I think. Much to your
displeasure!

Why do you think they contacted me, asking for a lot of details and plan
to correct this? Maybe they know more than you.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/