Old September 22nd 18, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_10_]

Default Cycle box death judge gets it right for once

On 22/09/2018 17:37, MrCheerful wrote:
On 22/09/2018 15:41, JNugent wrote:
On 22/09/2018 13:19, MrCheerful wrote:
On 22/09/2018 12:51, RJH wrote:
On 21/09/2018 21:11, JNugent wrote:
On 21/09/2018 20:52, wrote:
QUOTE:
Barry Northcott pulled into the zone which is designed to protect
cyclists at a traffic lights in Whitechapel High Street and failed
to spot Karla Norman.

Jailing him for 15 months this morning, Judge Christopher Kinch QC
said: "It may be frustrating to see cyclists - swarming or
otherwise - pulling in front at junctions.

"But the box is the device placed there to protect vulnerable
cyclists from the consequences of not being seen as traffic pulls
away.

*****"Motorists simply have to accept that, and it is not open to
them to decide when and where they may ignore that rule."*****
EMPHASIS MINE.

He was also banned from driving for five years and 30 weeks.

END QUOTE.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/lat...arry-Northcott

The report is opaque (which isn't a surprise).

Did the coach driver pull up behind the stationary cyclist then
drive over her when the lights changed to green?

Did he just drive over her without stopping because the lights were
green as he approached?

I'd interpret as just ploughing into the cyclist on a red light.
Driving into the cycle area at a red light is pretty routine IME -
I'd guess the driver was in some sort of autopilot mode.

No, the coach was turning left when she went under the wheels.

I didn't spot that detail in the report (though "dragged under the
huge vehicle" does suggest a collision involving the side of the coach
during a turning movement).

Did you get it from another, better, report?

The daily star did not even get her name correct.
slightly better:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-driving.html

Thanks. That report sems to fit better with the feasible facts of the case.

No red light was involved, but I never thought it would be.