Old September 29th 18, 08:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default hex entry at the back of pedal

On 2018-09-29 11:12, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/29/2018 12:59 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Today I replaced the pedals on a modern bike
with regular ones, which are just commodity
items from the hardware store. The modern
pedals are too short and, without using such
shoes, the interface to fixate them becomes an
uncomfortable blob under the foot.

You aren't supposed to ride click pedals with regular shoes :-)

Anyway first thing I noticed was an entry for
a hex key at the back of the pedal "screw
block" (?)

I removed the pedals just like a would with the
single speed, old steel bikes, i.e. a long
pipe, a 15mm wrench, a string to hold the crank
to the chainstay, CRC 5-56 (probably not needed
even), left pedal LT, right pedal regular, and
so very little force needed for the pedal to
come loose.

So what is the reason for the hex entry and
when do you use it?

BTW does anyone have an image with pedal parts
and terminology? I image googled but didn't
find anything to that end.

Pedal spindle (or axle - people use both terms) with allen broach:
https://outdoorgearlab-mvnab3pwrvp3t...46_3693_XL.jpg

offers faster assembly:
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$%28KGrHqZ,!lIE2EP64yPuBNhl+JMIDw~~_35.JPG?set_id= 8800005007

Or use a power drill with an allen bit in there, faster. We even use a
power drill to make bread dough.

Fully tighten, or break free to remove, with 15mm pedal wrench.

Some pedals omit the wrench flats and have an 8mm allen broach only on
the inside.

That sounds scary, I'd never buy those. 8mm ist too wimpy for a nice
tight fit.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/