Old February 8th 18, 11:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Battery Replacement on Lights with Internal Li-Ion Batteries

On 2018-02-06 18:56, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 2/6/2018 1:52 PM, sms wrote:
My wife's Lezyne Deca 1500XXL stopped taking a charge, at all. Taking
it apart, I saw that the batteries were made in July 2015. Not too
good for it to stop working that soon.

Some of my bikes have dynamos that are 30 years old. They just keep
going and going and going...

Until you get to a red traffic light, to a stop sign or into a traffic
jam. The perfect spot at night to get hit by a car driver who didn't
see you because you were on the only unlit vehicle around.

AFAIK: dynamo lighting is illegal in the UK for exactly that reason.

All it takes is you standing in the left turn lane and some soused guy
in a hurry cutting across that area, seeing you about one second before
impact. Of course, Frank won't understand that but luckily your
lawmakers did.

The wording leaves much ambiguities about using a dynamo to maintain
rechargeable batteries.

Its probably "technically" still an offence.

It used to be much worse in Germany. They did not allow having a real
power bus on a bicycle because it didn't have some StVZO number or some
such nonsense. Luckily by the time they caught me I had my residence in
the Netherlands so they had to let me ride on, not matter how peeved
they were.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/