Old June 10th 18, 03:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Chain waxing

On 6/9/2018 7:22 PM, jbeattie wrote:

I just got back from Universal where I bought a liter of Shimano mineral oil for the hydraulic brakes. It was $4 more than buying 50ml from Bike Gallery. Incroyable -- $17.99 for 50ml.

Let's see: that's about $1300 per gallon.

You can get 1,000ml for anywhere from $18-22 low street price. I didn't even bother price matching at Universal and paid $22. I'll never use all that mineral oil, but I couldn't bear spending so much for 50ml. Maybe I'll sell the left overs on the disk brake black market.

http://www.wisebread.com/30-unexpect...or-mineral-oil

By the way, I tried to buy $9 worth of hydraulic mineral oil made by Finish Line, and the guys at Bike Gallery (who I really like and have been good to me), basically swatted my hand away, saying that Shimano was the only way to go. I think either (1) Shimano has everyone cowed, or (2) Finish Line needs better PR. I think Shimano actually claims that the warranty on the hydraulic discs is voided if you use non-Shimano magical oil.

.... or non-Shimano tools to work on their components?

--
- Frank Krygowski