Old September 25th 06, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Fox

Default CTC error

Following on from wafflycat's message. . .
The CTC has made an unwise move, I think.

According to the copy of Cycle which arrived this morning, Jon Snow is the
new CTC president, having been invited to take the role once Phil Liggett
steps down.

This will be Jon Snow, the newsreader, who back in February on 'Richard &
Judy' (13th February 2006) admitted he tells people not to take up cycling
as "it's too dangerous out there" and that cyclists should be kept separate
from traffic on separate facilities, so promoting the erroneous view that
cycling is inherently dangerous. How long is it going to take before this
comes back and bites the CTC in its organisational backside when the media
picks up on how the CTC has a president who thinks cyclists should be kept
off the roads, yet at the same time supporting Daniel Cadden, a CTC member
who was fined for cycling on the road. Mixed messages from the CTC, anyone?

I feel like handing in my CTC membership in disgust.

Cheers, helen s

Well said Helen.

I've already given up with the CTC else I'd want to know who thought
that somebody off the cab rank of after-dinner speakers was a good bet.
Let's face it cyclists are by their very nature do-ers and get the knees
dirty people. And (no offence intended to the large cohort of fit,
strong, and experienced cyclists) why have somebody who fits the
'retired old fogey with a basket on the handlebars and cycle clips on
their tweeds' stereotype when say a 25-y.o. mad red-haired uni-cyclist
would be better on the telly and better for 'what the hell - everyone
jump on and off we go'.

$64,000 question for urc : Who /would be/ a better ambassador?
The obvious candidate is Adam Hart-Davis who has the 'dirty knees'
qualification but there must be alternatives which those of you with
televisions and sporty knowledge would know about.

Cycling needs brains not mouthpieces.

--
PETER FOX Not the same since the cardboard box company folded

www.eminent.demon.co.uk - Lots for cyclists