Old September 29th 18, 10:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default hex entry at the back of pedal

On 2018-09-29 11:12, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/29/2018 12:59 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Today I replaced the pedals on a modern bike with regular ones,
which are just commodity items from the hardware store. The
modern pedals are too short and, without using such shoes, the
interface to fixate them becomes an uncomfortable blob under
the foot.

You aren't supposed to ride click pedals with regular shoes :-)

Anyway first thing I noticed was an entry for a hex key at the
back of the pedal "screw block" (?)

I removed the pedals just like a would with the single speed,
old steel bikes, i.e. a long pipe, a 15mm wrench, a string to
hold the crank to the chainstay, CRC 5-56 (probably not needed
even), left pedal LT, right pedal regular, and so very little
force needed for the pedal to come loose.

So what is the reason for the hex entry and when do you use
it?

BTW does anyone have an image with pedal parts and terminology?
I image googled but didn't find anything to that end.

Pedal spindle (or axle - people use both terms) with allen
broach:
https://outdoorgearlab-mvnab3pwrvp3t...46_3693_XL.jpg

offers faster assembly:
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$%28KGrHqZ,!lIE2EP64yPuBNhl+JMIDw~~_35.JPG?set_id= 8800005007

Or use a power drill with an allen bit in there, faster. We even use a
power drill to make bread dough.

Fully tighten, or break free to remove, with 15mm pedal wrench.

Some pedals omit the wrench flats and have an 8mm allen broach
only on the inside.

That sounds scary, I'd never buy those. 8mm ist too wimpy for a
nice tight fit.

Virtually every rider in the pro peleton has pedals tightened with an
8mm hex wrench.
https://www.excelsports.com/assets/z...y/112594-5.jpg It's
not a problem.

But those guys don't weigh over 200lbs :-)

Yah, but the pros produce two or three times your power and a much higher seated crank bending load than you do. I raced for years at the 200lb mark and bent or broke some pedal spindles -- with flats (early Look and early DuraAce which were re-branded Look). I've never had a problem with the 8mm hex spindle on recent Looks or the XT level Shimano SPD pedals that are hex-only. Those things are bullet proof. Plenty of big boys ride the Shimano road pedals. The design is inconvenient, but it is not scary or dangerous.

-- Jay Beattie.