Old February 20th 19, 01:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default Latest on Australian Mandatory Helmet Law propaganda

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 15:28:47 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 9:40:13 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
I try to refrain from correcting Tom's many mistakes. Really, I do. But...

On 2/19/2019 11:49 AM,
wrote:

Bell started making bicycle helmets in the mid-1970's. By the 1980's they were universally used though climbers would often through them off on heavy climbs they would also get new ones at the top because they were being sponsored by helmet companies.

By the 1980s they were universally used? Look at photos of the 1985 Tour
de France.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a7/ab...2c4e8500fb.jpg

http://velopress.wpengine.com/wp-con...lemond-the.jpg

http://imasportsphile.com/wp-content...d-Hinault2.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3665/1...6c5ff732_b.jpg

etc., etc.

The death rates during this period was about 1 every couple of years. And a lot of those were like Tom Simpson who if memory serves rode over a cliff.

Nope. He died in 1967, supposedly from drug aided overexertion. No cliff
involved.

By 2010 the UCI finally made helmets mandatory...

Sort of true, if "by 2010" you really mean "in 2003."

but at the same time carbon fiber bikes were coming strongly into vogue. These bikes were significantly more aero than the previous bikes...

I'd better stop now. I don't want to make a full time job out of
correcting Tom.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Tell us all Frank - what does it matter if Simpson didn't die of a head injury from wearing a helmet?

Simple. It is just more proof that you don't know what you are talking
about.

--
Cheers,
John B.