Old May 13th 06, 01:13 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default today's ride

On Fri, 12 May 2006 23:43:28 +1000, beerwolf wrote:

I often ride on that footpath, going up, for the same reasons as you.
And coming back down, I _always_ use it. There aren't really many
alternatives for a cyclist, if you want to go back through that tunnel.

If you're coming off thinks Miller? St - anyway, the one that's just up
the hill from the station - you can head down towards Blues Pt, then cut
through a little park. This leads you though back streets to the other
side of the tunnel, and is legal.

Coming back that way doesn't work because it's too narrow to reasonably go
the wrong way on a one way street after the tunnel, which is why the bike
lane ends there. [1] The highway isn't too bad, though you get the odd
dickhead. I suppose you could go through the back of Milsons Pt, but it'd
be fairly blah. The footpath seems to be pretty accepted as a cycleway, so
it might even be worth lobbying for it to be formally declared.

My preferred option city bound was to head down the hill toward Blues Pt
then turn at the lights, which comes out at the roundabout in Milsons Pt.
But only because I liked to go close to the speed limit.

[1] For those who don't know this area, it's a one way street with a bike
lane going in the opposite direction. So yes, we bloody bike riders are
going the wrong way, but we're allowed to.

--
Dave Hughes |
Oh, loneliness and cheeseburgers are a dangerous mix.