Old July 31st 17, 07:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default New bike for Jay

On 2017-07-29 18:33, John B. wrote:
On Sat, 29 Jul 2017 07:34:09 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-07-28 15:57, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, July 28, 2017 at 2:10:10 PM UTC-7, David Scheidt wrote:
Joy Beeson wrote: :On Thu, 27 Jul
2017 09:39:03 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie wrote:

: Just two water bottles that I filled every 50 miles.

:When I could ride that far, a bottle would last about ten miles.

Jay's a camel.

Not like Jobst. I fill up big bottles. I just don't take more than
two -- except on rare occasion. When selecting a bike, I don't go
into the store and ask for an '80s Euro-sport bike with a rack so I
can haul gallons of water on a day ride.

Joerg has peculiar needs. I'm fine with a couple of bottle bosses
and 160mm brake rotors on a gravel bike. If I were riding trails in
the middle of nowhere, I might consider a camel back or some other
option, but I'm not. I'm never that far from water on a day ride.

http://www.performancebike.com/webap...HydrationGuide

Quote: "Carry and consume one 16-24oz bottle of plain water, plus one
extra 16-24oz bottle of an energy drink for each hour on the bike".

Most of my rides are 4-5h and I am a tall guy who is more at the upper
end of the water requirement scale. So there.

Yes, this also applies to Oregonians since they have a store in Portland :-)

Your equation doesn't mention OAT which is critical to the body's
water usage. If one were riding in the Mojave desert on the 4th of
July your liquid requirement wouldn't be sufficient and if in Nome on
Christmas day it would be overkill.

It's not my equation, it is recommended by sports medicine guys and they
know a thing or two about dehydration. I assume they calculated for
heavy riding where you pump out close to as much as your body will give
at the current weather conditions. Note they say "per hour", not "per xx
miles".

For example, in summer I need almost 1/2h longer for one of my 4h MTB
loops because else I just start panting too much. In winter I ride
faster and that makes me pant and sweat just as much, and consequently,
drink just as much water. I'f I'd ride at the same slower speed in
winter I'd need much less water and sometimes I do that. For example,
when I just want to get out there to sit and think about a difficult
engineering task. Then I also take less in fluids along.

I'm not really sure that they do. After all, dehydration that they're talking about isn't from being out in the sun and wind but from riding at or near maximum effort. I am showing no deleterious effects from riding pretty long distances at moderate paces without much in the way of hydration.