Old June 10th 18, 04:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Chain waxing

On Sunday, June 10, 2018 at 2:49:31 AM UTC+1, David Scheidt wrote:
jbeattie wrote:

:I just got back from Universal where I bought a liter of Shimano mineral
il for the hydraulic brakes. It was $4 more than buying 50ml from
:Bike Gallery. Incroyable -- $17.99 for 50ml. Even from Western, it's
:$12.75 for 50ml. You can get 1,000ml for anywhere from $18-22 low street
rice. I didn't even bother price matching at Universal and paid $22.
:I'll never use all that mineral oil, but I couldn't bear spending so much
:for 50ml. Maybe I'll sell the left overs on the disk brake black market.

It's not going to go bad. I find it infuriating that no one sells
mineral oil in quanties other than 50ml or 1000ml.

--
sig 42

Shhh. Rohloff used to sell either a single shot of gear service oil, which you use a minimum of once a year, or one liter. The liter set was way over a hundred bucks, the singleton kit (cleaning oil, syringe, all-seasons oil) was about twenty bucks at the discounters. There was a lot of grousing about that. Now they sell 250ml lots of each oil in a set of cans, and the syringes are reusable or you can get a handful, usually free, from whichever vet your wife frequents if he also has a large animal practice. Basically, investing about fifty bucks in the 250ml setup gives me gear oil for the rest of my life because I use only 15ml* at a time, once a year.

Andre Jute
*If you're one of those net curtainn-twitchers tempted to write in outrage that I'm wrecking an expensive gearbox, contain yourself and do your homework. 15ml is all that is required to cover the inside of the gearbox and all its parts; that is also how much is put in a new gearbox by the factory. The 25ml requirement in the manual is German cover-your-assery, strictly for careless louts, which isn't me (I'm pretty loutish on subjects like freedom of speech and stepping on the faces of antisocial scum, but careless? -- nope, you got the wrong guy). The surplus CYA 10ml mists out through the vent in the centre of the axle and stains your wife's favorite Persian carpet.. Well, of course my bike lives inside in the central heating! It's an improvement from when I rebuilt a Bentley -- not just the engine, the whole car -- in the living room because the triple garage I normally used for these projects when I wasn't on a Maria Callas kick echoed like a badly designed church and made Callas quite indistinct with competing time delays, and I had built a wall of electrostatic speakers in the arch between the living room and the dining room -- see "Bessel Arrays" at
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/...n%20BESSEL.htm
After that a bike inside in the winter is light relief; at least it doesn't play Callas at La Scala volume.