Old May 11th 18, 12:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default Dynamo/LED power conditioning

On 10/05/18 21:34, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 9 May 2018 21:40:15 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On Wednesday, May 9, 2018 at 5:24:35 AM UTC-4, Roger Merriman wrote:

I do agree though since most people change into cycling gear, that worrying
about putting a light on isn’t much of a hassle really.

Interesting point. I change into cycling gear only for long recreational rides.
When I jump on the bike to go to a store, etc. I'm always in normal street
clothes. For me, searching for a battery powered bike light, mounting it,
keeping it charged etc. is too much trouble.

I wouldn't be surprised to find strong correlation between always riding in
special bike garb, and preferring removable battery lights; or conversely,
usually riding in ordinary clothes and preferring always-ready dyno lights.

- Frank Krygowski

I hate to be a heretic but I suspect that type of light used and how
it is powered depend largely on what people are doing with the bike.
You mention "jumping on the bike to go to the store". When we lived in
Phuket that was a 70 Km round trip. Now we've moved (about 2 hours
north of Bangkok), it is more like a half an hour, round trip.

For at least 10 years.... more now I think of it, I've never used a
bicycle light to see with. When you are a degree or two off the
equator it is pretty easy to find enough day light to ride in :-)

I had, for a while, a sidewall generator but as I always rode in the
daytime I took it off.

If I were still living in up state New Hampshire where I grew up my
lighting would likely be radically different :-)

I have a dynamo powered head light and battery powered tail light.

I like to be able to get on and ride. If I go for a ride and it is a
foggy morning or an early start before the sun is up, or a storm blows
through, I turn my lights on. If I go for a ride in the evening and the
sun goes down before I get home, I turn my lights on. It is a 25km
round trip for me to ride to the nearest shops.

I usually wear "special bike garb".

I've gone against Frank's hypothesis, I don't do the same as you and I
have mixed batteries and dynamo!

--
JS