Old October 26th 04, 04:32 AM
Badger_South

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 12:59:38 +1000, velomanct
wrote:

David L. Johnson Wrote:
On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 14:58:34 +0000, neil0502 wrote:

IIRC, the man in question has already snapped a couple of pairs of cranks.

Does this really ring true? I do a cowboy mount on my Trek7500FX, and that
means 225-230lbs, with a bounce...this is highly -not- recommended (lol) in
some cycling uh, 'bibles'.

If I put down a bathroom scale and cowboy mounted it...

Anyway, though we know higher end cranks are lighter, hollow, carbon
components, titanium, what have you - I'm not up on crank lore, but I'd say
more likely to break? Anyone who sold this gentleman a bike with cranks
that were not 'sturdy' - shouldn't he get free replacement? Would bike shop
sell him the same cranks - (thus the couple "Pairs", seems odd sounding).

-B
I've never performed a lewd act with a bathroom scale! Except, this one
time in Peoria, ...

[Now, I'm not doubting the OP. ('Stories' can get confused over telling and
retelling...) There are 6'10 250lb guys here. Anyone ever snap any cranks?
My feel for the recounting is that the cranks snapped when? While riding
and pushing up a hill? Well we've heard what happens to a person who
snapped a crank that way last spring. Major ouchie, major hospital bills...
Maybe one would just stand on it to start pedalling and push and --snap--
the crank disintegrates like the Incredible Hulk just stomped it....or,
maybe when cowboy mounting? How, then do you break 'pairs' of cranks...]
Badger in 'CSI' mode. ;-