Old March 15th 18, 05:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Default New bike path

On 2018-03-14 09:08, Frank Krygowski wrote:

(You remain the only person I've ever heard of who somehow believes
U.C.
Davis does not restrict motor vehicle use.)

Because they don't. I was there a lot on business and due to the
distance and the need to schlepp heavy stuff had to use an SUV. Not
the slightest problem.

"Restrict motor vehicle use" does not mean "No motor vehicle is ever
allowed through." The campus I taught in allowed no motor vehicles in
its central core - except, of course, when it was necessary to
allow an
emergency vehicle, a utility repair truck, a heavy delivery, etc.
Allowing one SUV driver schlepping something is far different from
letting anyone drive wherever they want.

From
https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...th-the-bicycle

"The campus, cheek-by-jowl with the city, is car-free."

I have told you before that that is fake news. Simply repeating it
does not make it any less fake.

... [Yes, as
explained above, it's not 100% car free. Everyone else gets the idea.]

"Car-use was restricted on campus, with drop-down barriers and a
ban on
student car ownership (this is still in force)."

From http://taps.ucdavis.edu/bicycle/education/community

"The University followed suit by banning almost all motor vehicle use
from its central core roadways that were formerly open to motor
traffic
from off campus."

They do not.

Yeah, yeah, fake news. Who are you going to believe, professional
journalists who have no strong agendas? Or one guy on the internet who
wants to spend public money to turn America into Amsterdam?

I believe myself. I was there a lot so I know. Seems you can't even
operate Google Maps. Almost everyone knows that their Google mapping
vehicles do not enter restricted areas such as closed campuses or
gated communities, meaning there wouldn't be a street view. Since UC
Davis has no restriction for on-campus driving you can virtually drive
through. See this huge parking lot?

https://goo.gl/maps/Ntm7kfRtHfD2

Now why would that be there is traffic was restricted? Quote "banning
almost all motor vehicle use from its central core roadways" is,
therefore, obviously a false statement.

:-) Oh really?

How odd that Google Street View (so to speak) is available for places
like Petra in Jordon! https://goo.gl/maps/Y1DrTnGKC5N2
Do you imagine some Google contractor stole a 4x4 and ran it through there?

Here's a clue, Joerg:
https://www.mnn.com/lifestyle/eco-to...t-view-trekker

There are easy clues to see if it was the Google vehicle or someone on foot.

1. Middle of the lane use in traffic. It is illegal in California to
walk or cycle lane-centered unless there is an exceptional
situation. In my example that clearly is not the case.

2. Shadows that clearly show a vehicle when you zip around the
circular view.

There are countless places that cars cannot access, but Street View can.

Which is not to say that Google didn't get permission to send a Street
View car through the U.C. Davis campus, just as a person could get
permission to make a delivery.

But if driving is not restricted through campus, where are all the cars?
https://goo.gl/maps/1U8Gzoa39hu
And why do so many articles claim driving is restricted through campus?

other huge parking lots. Duh.

I don't know which of you is right, but Google is not restricted to cars
for street view. See:

http://www.viralblog.com/viral-socia...et-view-camel/

Notice the picture of the street view trike -- seems to be pedal-only,
at least according to:

https://www.wired.com/2009/05/google...s-less-driven/