Old February 22nd 04, 04:41 PM
paco

Default Too many Flats...what to do?

I've only had moderate success with Slime. For me, it's always been a
temporary fix.
I don't know about anyone else, but when I used the slime in my tires,
it only lasts for a little bit and then the seal goes again. I had it
happen in the middle of a 5K charity race I was doing (it was a running
race, but they asked me specifically to ride it on my unicycle to give
some variety).
I got up that morning to find out that I had a thorn in my tire (and
this was a "thorn resistant" tube). I already had goop in my tire, and
so pumped up the tire again. I then proceeded to ride it for a while to
make sure the seal was fine. No problem.
So I got to the race and rode for about 5 minutes. Then the seal gave
out and I got the same flat again. I tried pumping up the tire, but it
kept deflating. So I started pushing my unicycle for a few minutes.
The slime then sealed the tire again and I was able to pump up my tire
and finish the race. But all this was after I'd lost plenty of time off
the clock.
So use slime at your own risk. My MUni has a Kenda Kolossal tire and a
Duro heavyweight downhill tube. I've never got a flat with that setup,
and I was getting a flat sometimes three times a month with my other uni
(stupid Goathead thorns!) The Duro tube weighs quite a bit, but is just
so massively thick!

--
paco - Proud owner of 2 opposable thumbs

Give me apathy, or...
oh, whatever.
paco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3715