Old May 31st 09, 04:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default bicycle travel on plane to France/Tour De France

Thanks for your response Mike.
I will try to get a bike bag for the trains. I was going to just take
my bicycle hard case and store it at a Hotel in paris and stay there
the after getting off the plane and then head down to the alps the
next day (figured I would rest after a long flight all nite) . But I
guess you think I really need a bag for my bike on the trains. I have
emailed the EuroRail about bicycles but have not received a
response.
I haven't really gotten all the logistics together for this trip. I
will post up on here as soon as I figure it out.
I will def. be going to the Mt Ventoux stage.
Jeff Rank
On May 30, 1:03*am, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:
wrote in message

Hi

I am posting on here about bicycle travel to France on American
airlines to see if anyone
recently has does this. *I searched this group but all the postings I
can find are from 2003 or earlier.
I want to plan a trip to see the later stages of the Tour de France. I
already have a plane ticket to
Orly airport and a Rail Europe anywhere/anytime France ticket. I know
American airlines charges $100 for bicycles. I still have a few
questions.
1. Does Rail Europe thru France allow bikes on the train without a
case or box?
2. Where do you store the case if it is a large plastic one? (I was
thinking about getting a nylon one so it is easier to store in a
locker at the airport or at the trail station where I arrive,)
3. Does the train going to London under the chunnel (eurostar) allow
bikes? (I'm planning on going to England after the Tour)
4. Does anyone have any experience spectating the Tour de France with
their bicycle as the main means of getting around? Then leaving by
train and air?
Thanks for any help .
Jeff
)

Forgot to mention in my prior post that there is no problem, even at
this late date, finding places to stay in France during the TdF. For
that matter, you can get plane tickets from the west coast for as little
as $820 all-in (including all taxes & fees) on USAir right now. United
is running about $150 or so more, but still far below the $1600-$1800
typical at this time of year. If you want to get an idea of car rental,
check out Europcar which has a very easy-to-use website. Keep in mind
that getting the car in one place and leaving it in another is the norm
in France, not something you have to pay extra for. On the other hand,
you're not going to find cheap rental cars in general, figure on
$40/day+ for something small.

Oh darn, just noticed an error in my first response. You're flying into
Orly, not CDG. No TGV service to Orly, but they do have shuttles between
the two airports. Most of the shuttles have very large luggage
compartments that should be able to carry your bike. It will probably be
cheaper and easier to shuttle from Orly to CDG's TGV terminal than to
head from Orly into Paris (where you'd likely have to go to Gare Lyon if
you want to catch up to the TdF in the Alps).

--Mike-- * * Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReactionBicycles.com- Hide quoted text -