Old June 17th 18, 05:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Default Helmet News

Frank Krygowski wrote:

It's been interesting to me that the
primitive helmet certification test is so
revered, despite its ignoring most TBI
science since about 1970. Yes, "no helmet can
protect against all foreseeable impacts" as
the proudly state on the internal stickers.
(IOW, "don't blame us if this thing doesn't
work.") But nationwide data makes it fairly
clear that approved helmets aren't making
much of a difference at all, despite hundreds
of gullible "it saved my life!!!" stories.

As mentioned, the old Skid Lid helmets of
1974 or so accumulated lots of "saved my
life!!!" stories too. That's even though they
didn't come close to meeting the present
standard - which some suspect was
deliberately set at a level that Bell could
pass but Skid Lid could not.

Ah well. I know questioning helmets is
blasphemy...

Tho I've heard hitting your head without
a helmet in bicycle accidents can affect your
mind in the sense it will repeat the same
brain pattern over and over?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573