Old July 6th 18, 04:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Pollution guzzling bike promises cleaner and greener cities

On Fri, 6 Jul 2018 12:47:59 +0000 (UTC), Ralph Barone
wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Pollution guzzling bike promises cleaner and greener cities
http://www.climatechangenews.com/2013/12/11/pollution-guzzling-bike-promises-cleaner-and-greener-cities/

New bike reduces pollution by cleaning air as you cycle
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/bike-pollution-cleaning-air-bicycle-beijing-china-dan-roosegaarde-a7829891.html

Just one little problem. It isn't healthy riding around on a bicycle
while breathing polluted air:
https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2017/feb/13/tipping-point-cities-exercise-more-harm-than-good

Better living through (cough) technology.

Just imagine how much more air they could clean if they scaled the bike up
into an SUV.

Sure. I like science fiction. In some parts of the planet,
automotive exhaust is cleaner than the city air:

Emissions from our cars cleaner than Delhi air, says Jaguar CEO
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/Emissions-from-our-cars-cleaner-than-Delhi-air-says-Jaguar-CEO/articleshow/50894430.cms

BMW’s Exhaust Cleaner than Surrounding Air in Hydrogen 7
https://www.geek.com/mobile/bmws-exhaust-cleaner-than-surrounding-air-in-hydrogen-7-1371749/

Therefore, the best place to ride is behind the exhaust pipe on a
clean air vehicle.

Personally, I believe the best solution is to turn the bicycle into an
electrostatic precipitator. Simply design a bicycle frame with the
appropriate insulation, and put a few thousand volts between the front
rack and the rear rack. The particles pickup a charge on the front
rack, and are trapped by the opposite polarity charge on the rear
rack. It's similar to a home "air purifier" but without the charcoal
filter. Or, just mount one of these on your bicycle:
http://www.airocide.com
https://www.amazon.com/Airocide-Purifier-allergies-sensitive-individuals/dp/B00CKXVHNO/

Progress is our most important problem.

--