Old September 12th 05, 02:25 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Default Converting a Bike to a Powerassisted electric bike Suggestions

Considering converting my bike to an electric power assist bike any
suggestions?
websites or brands

Sandra

Don't do it. Standard bikes aren't meant to take the load produced by an
electric motor & battery. Some of the more-dangerous ones mount everything
up front, where it seriously destabilizes the handle. We've also seen units
that work off the rear wheel that seem like they were intentionally designed
to cause spoke failure (something they succeed at big-time).

If you need electric power assist, find a dealer that sells models already
equipped with it. They'll likely be much sturdier and less prone to failure.
Be prepared to pay a fair amount of money for something decent, since buying
something cheap is just throwing money away, from what I've seen.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com