Old September 12th 05, 06:42 AM
Werehatrack

Default Converting a Bike to a Powerassisted electric bike Suggestions

On 11 Sep 2005 16:40:01 -0700, wrote:

Considering converting my bike to an electric power assist bike any
suggestions?
websites or brands

The adaptations I have seen were overly heavy, had very short ranges,
and were a poor value for the money. Bikes are like canoes; they
either need to have been made to take a motor to begin with, or they
shouldn't have one installed. (I will acknowledge that there are some
useful, lightweight power assist setups that use a very small
two-cycle gasoline engine, but that wasn't what you asked about.)

It should also be noted that in many locales, adding an electric motor
to a bicycle makes it into a motor vehicle and changes many of the
rules relating to its use.

Electric bikes need to have been made to use that mode of power in
order to work well in that role. Due to the overall lack of demand,
and also due to the contradictory and confusing nature of regulations
across the US relating to electric bikes, there are very few suppliers
carrying electric-assist bikes in this country.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.