Old April 20th 04, 02:49 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Default A question - Girls' bikes and boys' bikes - Why the difference?

I don't bike much, but I do enjoy wowing people with useless
facts, so here recently when someone asked me why boys' bikes have that
horizontal bar between the seat and the handlebar, whereas girls' bikes
have a curved one, I was stumped. I tried searching on Google, but I
couldn't find any answer to this, so I figured I'd get the answer straight
from the horses mouth. Someone care to enlighten me?

We-ell... when I was a young girl, back in the dim mists of pre-history, the
reason given as why a girl's bike doesn't have a crossbar was that girls wear
skirts. Wearing of a skirt whilst cycling is made easier if the bike isn't the
traditional diamond shape.

Saying that, last summer in Germany, I saw loads of blokes riding what is
ordinarily described as a girls' bike in the UK. It didn't seem to bother them
one jot. Plus, if, to use a phrase, one has difficulty getting one's leg over,
a step-through frame will make going for a ride easier (ooh-err Missus!).

Again, personally speaking I never did like to wear a skirt when cycling and
still don't. So I use a diamond-frame "man's bike" - and have no problem
getting my leg over (ooh-err Missus!).

Cheers, helen s

**$om $