Old October 31st 17, 10:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default To cycle is to live dangerously...[

On Tuesday, October 31, 2017 at 12:38:29 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, October 31, 2017 at 11:58:55 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 10/31/2017 11:44 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 10/31/2017 9:35 AM, wrote:
On Monday, October 30, 2017 at 1:07:53 PM UTC-7, jbeattie
wrote:
On Monday, October 30, 2017 at 12:47:01 PM UTC-7,
wrote:
On Monday, October 30, 2017 at 9:32:05 AM UTC-7,
jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, October 30, 2017 at 8:51:55 AM UTC-7,
wrote:
On Monday, October 30, 2017 at 7:09:00 AM UTC-7, Frank
Krygowski wrote:
On Monday, October 30, 2017 at 9:59:00 AM UTC-4,
wrote:
On Monday, October 30, 2017 at 12:00:37 AM UTC-7,
Andre Jute wrote:
On Sunday, October 29, 2017 at 8:36:50 PM UTC,
wrote:

snippy snip snip

There are very few jobs in which you could make more than
I was making at the height of my career.

Then you must have made some really bad decisions, based on
your complaints about your present life and finances.

more snip

I happen to know a few other people who have suffered
crippling accidents. Financial and psychological devastation
is the rule and the mere fact that Tom is able to compose in
English and plunk a keyboard at all is miraculous. Even
without brain injury, a year or two horizontal ruins lives
more often than not.

Ping Tom -- when did you have your concussion, and which fall caused it? I was never clear on that.

I know Tom had several fork failures, but then he had a succession of crashes -- I recall he hit a wall at 25mph, but I don't know if that was a fork failure. I thought all this misfortunes were post-retirement. I'm telling you, retirement is dangerous. Don't do it Muzi!

Dec 18, 2009. It was an IRD carbon fork. It had an aluminum head on it and the carbon legs were glued on and then after initial assembly they were riveted on to hold them together until the resin set. They followed American law and never advertised in the US (though all over the Internet) specifically hence they had no responsibility to have safe practices. The failure on the fork was that one side finally failed at the rivet because it had never been glued at all. The ER and several neurologists were unable to understand why I seemed to be dazed and uncommunicative for most of the time. In fact I was having almost continuous micro-seizures and major seizures a lot. Finally I had one in front of my best friend's wife who was a nurse and knew what it was. They took me to Stanford Cancer Center because the other doctors all said I must have some sort of brain cancer since there wasn't anything else possible. Stanford gave me a clean bill of health and recommended a professor of neurology who has a small practice at Palo Alto Medical Center down the street. I saw the lights come on again about mid-2011. It took two years to be fully lucent.

Another fork failed and dropped me into a large pile of dead leaves which cushioned me completely. So I didn't learn my lesson.

Finally my Colnago C40 fractured a fork end in a high speed descent. Because of the fracture it would steer properly and I went off the road and into a ditch - a stone culvert which thankfully was only neck deep so my head didn't strike anything. But I was quite sure I broke every other bone in my body. As it turns out I broke nothing. But presently I have a bad ligament in my shoulder which is quite painful and may have been caused by the crash from over a year ago. I didn't have any pain for a half year. But the surgeon says that isn't unusual. He recommends physical therapy if I can ever contact them.

But I am now off of anything carbon fiber forever. Steel is real and aluminum is light if uncomfortable as hell.