Old July 28th 03, 01:47 PM
George Conklin

Default Generated Traffic (do bikes and cars mix?)

"Automator" wrote in message
Someone who has given up on real change wrote:
Well if you listen to environmentalists without using any critical
thinking skills, I could see that.

Environmentalidiots say this all the time. What they ignore is the
growth of the population. Our roads do not get busier simply because
we build more roads. They get busier because more people are driving
as more people get their licenses. This is due to growth from births
and from immigration.

How about your critical thinking skills. You've looked at a single
dimention: "More people MUST mean more traffic, so we need more roads!"

Go to your local library (how about riding a bike there?) and grab five
books on traffic planning. Maybe even one of your locality's

transportation
plans. Get a variety, not just ones written by pro-roadies. Look up the

term
"generated traffic".

The generated traffic term was made up to justify the fear that as people
have become more affluent, they like to travel more. This goes all the way
back to the British aristocrats who said the same thing about railroads:
they were opposed to railroads because the peasants would move around too
much. Nothing has changed, except transit advocates don't want today's
peasants moving around so much....like YOU.