Old August 6th 13, 03:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Blackblade

Default Is Mike Andaman finally dead?

The incidents are piling up one on top of another. All you
need do is broaden your perspective.

Where Ed ? I'm happy to broaden my perspective ... but you're not helping me are you. You made a statement that incidents were happening daily and the evidence thereby piling up. Where ? Show this evidence to me please .... if it's that ubiquitous surely there is some record of it online ?

More ad-hominem ?

Everything is tit for tat with me.

I attacked your propositions, not you.

There are approximately 50 million mountain bikers in the

USA.* I have no idea how many ride on which type of trail ... do you
?

Yes ... only a few. Most mountain bikes are ridden on streets
and roads as they should be.

Groan. More generalities and inanities. Numbers ? Sources ? Proof ? No ?????

It is mainly older people who are dying of heart disease. The
fact remains that mountain biking on single track trails is extremely risky.
Only a fool would argue to the contrary.

No, Ed, only someone who had done the maths and figured out the death rate .... which when compared with other activities shows it to be pretty safe.

And, unfortunately, no it's not just the old who are dying of heart disease ... the profile of deaths are getting ever younger (source: World Health Organisation).

Bicycles on single track trails are an incompatible use which
conflicts with walkers.

On some trails, yes, on the majority no.

Bicycles are mechanical contrivances which go much
faster than anyone can walk.

True. Isn't a reason to ban them though.

Bicycle are destructive of the trails themselves.

No more so than hiking.

The predominate mental attitude of cyclists on trails is one of fun and
games, not appreciation of nature as it is for walkers.

You don't know why all walkers are there and, in any case, it's irrelevant. Whilst you might feel that the only valid use of a trail is for the appreciation of nature it's a free country and not everyone has to think as you do.

Cyclists on trails are slobs
and barbarians whereas walkers are gentlemen and civilized.

Not worth responding to ... characterising millions of people as having the same attributes is so obviously wrong.

The only circular logic here is yours. Hey, I want to bike on
trails because I want to bike on trails. Selfish and childish to the core!

No, Ed, that's misrepresentation. My proposition, which I've stated again and again, is that a public resource should be shared, reasonably, by the groups who wish to use it.

You are wrong on all
counts. Cyclists need to get their own trails, at which point I don’t
give a damn what they do or don’t do. **** ‘em all I say!*

I've been wrong many times in my life ... but bereft facts and logic to backup your position I won't be changing my mind.