Old September 1st 04, 04:19 PM
Badger_South

On 1 Sep 2004 05:59:58 -0700, (H) wrote:

"Roger Zoul" wrote in message ...
Ron McKinnon wrote:

[...]

I suggest that, in the future, you do your best to avoid second encounters
with stupid people driving cars (assuming the first encounter was forced
upon you). It can't be good policy for a cyclist.

I agree. People are crazy. Its not even worth it (and not effective)
to assert your rights to someone who is enraged about something else
in their life and is taking it out on you with road rage.

The fact that the guy had plenty of room to pass or at worst was
slowed down for a couple of seconds demonstrates that this is not
about traffic with the road-rager. He has something else going on, and
it is best not to get involved in his problems. You won't "teach" him
anything and risk more than you than expect.

-H.

One of the problems with maintaining one's cool, though is that when one is
riding all systems are in high gear, including the adrenaline, and as a
result there's the sense that you can take on the world.

However, I think Chris Carmichael says it best:

"Resist making an obscene gesture or shouting a profanity...You may think
you're doling out punisment but psychologists say otherwise. It actually
tells the driver that he succeeded, and this encourages the same behavior.
The best response is no response. Keep riding as if nothing happened."
-pg51
The Lance Armstrong Performance Program by Lance Armstrong, Chris
Carmichael.

The key phrase, for me, is 'this encourges the same behavior'...towards
other bikers, or towards yourself should you encounter the cager in the
future.

I try to tap into the aggressive counter-response and ride harder, which is
what I think most experienced road-riders do. (easier said than done, I
realize.) ;-)

-B
(Of course later, Chris advises that one should be prepared to get a
description and license number if necessary, and be prepared phone in a
report. When I'm going on a long ride I pack a pencil and pad and hope to
concentrate on getting the number and hope it helps defuse the anger with
postive action, etc.)