Old September 22nd 04, 07:45 PM
Frank Krygowski

Brent P wrote:

In article , Frank Krygowski wrote:

Nate, please google "speed hump" to see what we're actually talking
about. You're talking about something else.

I just did the search in google images....

Do it in Google.

http://www.dot.co.pima.az.us/trafeng/NTMP/humpa.jpg
http://www.transalt.org/press/magazi...dhumpbronx.jpg
http://www.trafficcalming.org/toolbo...peedhumps1.jpg
http://www.trafficcalming.org/toolbo...peedhumps3.jpg
http://www.mesalek.com/colo/picts/fc_stuartspdhmp.jpg
http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/roadworks/images/hump.jpg

As you can see the design varies quite a bit. All can put all four tires
of many vehicles below the peak of the hump with the peak under the car.

And the ones designed according to the current standards will clear any
reasonable undercarriage just fine. Only the first seems to be a
mistaken design. It should be fixed.

The vocabulary is well accepted by people who know this subject. Speed
BUMPS are short in the direction of travel (8" to perhaps 30"), feature
steep slopes (as much as 45 degrees) and can't be driven over at much
above a walking speed.

Obviously not, as speed hump is used by offical government agenices have
pictures of what you call 'bumps' but are calling them humps.

"... people who know this subject." I'm sorry that not everyone does -
but I submit that educating the world's traffic engineers on this design
is far easier than your proposed alternative of fixing local speeding by
starting with the interstate system regulations!

Visit http://www.ite.org/traffic/hump.htm for some detail on doing them
right. It also lists advantages and _realistically_ states
disadvantages, so communities and engineers can make informed decisions.

Speed HUMPS are as long as 14 feet in the direction of travel, feature
smooth slopes, and can be driven comfortably at speeds like 25 mph,
depending on their design.

In chicago, Speed humps are about 4-5 in the direction of travel, have
steep slopes of only a 6 inches or less and are as high as the curb, 4-6
inches.

The definitions are not defined as you would like them to be.

There are badly designed freeway ramps in this world. There are badly
designed intersections. There are badly designed sidewalks. And there
are badly designed speed humps.

That does NOT mean we should have no freeways, no bridges, no sidewalks.
And it does NOT mean we should have no speed humps.

It means the designs should be done correctly.

--
Frank Krygowski [To reply, remove rodent and vegetable dot com.
Substitute cc dot ysu dot