Old October 13th 04, 03:32 AM
Alan Baker

In article ,
Frank Krygowski wrote:

Nate Nagel wrote:

Alan Baker wrote in message

In article ,
Frank Krygowski wrote:

... I did get a look at the warning
sign for that ramp. The sign is literally the size of a billboard! It
just didn't look like a trick to me!

Perhaps that should tell you something about the affect of all the
improperly posted warning signs that people have encountered that they
should have to make that one so very large...

I believe I've addressed this already - even if you accept the "larger
means they really mean it" premise, it doesn't hold up, as every
tollbooth in the state of PA has similarly sized signs recommending
similar speeds, and are pretty much uniformly ludicrous (i.e. 25 MPH
or 35 MPH 1/2 mile away from a tollbooth, which you can still see
anyway because the road is dead flat and arrow straight.) As an added
bonus, they throw up rumble strips before the signs to make *sure* you
see them.

This is at least partly because a tractor trailer plowed through a toll
booth a few years ago. The toll booth workers _really_ prefer that
drivers come out of their trances. It helps their life expectancy.

And I imagine it's partly because accidents happen when drivers somehow
miss the fact that traffic is actually backed up and stopped at the toll
booths.

Now you may wonder, how on earth could someone drive along and not see a
line of cars, or a tool booth, sitting stationary in the road ahead of
them?

But then, we wonder how someone could misjudge a 25 mph ramp to the
point they have to do a "controlled four wheel drift" [sic] to make it
through!

Because the portion that required 25 mph was out of plain view and
advisory limits are so habitually wrong by a factor of two that there's
no way any reasonable person would trust them.

Road zombies. They need to wake up, and slow down.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia