Old February 25th 19, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

Default This group

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 08:30:49 +0000
TMS320 wrote:

On 24/02/2019 21:37, Simon Jester wrote:

I have never used slick tyres, which is illogical because tyre tread
is used to displace water and prevent aquaplaning. On a bicycle you
would have to be travelling about 250mph to aquaplane.

I guess it gives a thicker layer of rubber without adding weight. (I
have never done an assessment of whether there is a difference in
tendency to puncture.)

Eh?

Some people have the idea that tread helps with grip and the
manufacturers use it as branding.

Off-road tread most definitely does help with grip, on-road not so
much, although with roads being so variable there are some conditions
where it will probably help. I wonder if tread doesn't make punctures
more likely by giving sharp or pointy things a corner to initially lodge
in before they work their way through the tyre.