Old November 15th 03, 07:30 PM
Werehatrack

Default Break lights turn lights and handle bar lights

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 13:35:18 GMT, Simon Brooke
may have said:

Truepurple writes:

Im looking for a few different light kinds.

Break lights that come on when you stop on a bike.

Never seen these. You could fit a microswitch into one or both of your
brake-levers...

I saw a kit somewhere, but was not impressed with the setup.

Turn signal lights you can use instead of sticking your arm out. Im
not as concerned about looking goofy as much as the difficulty and
risk associated with taking ones hands off the bar and sticking
there arm out.

I've seen these - once - they didn't work very well. But what 'risk'
is there in making a handsignal?

In traffic around here, you may not get that arm back from a left-turn
arm signal. Still, given the number of things already on the
handlebars of most non-roadie bikes in the area of the grips, mounting
a switch where it would not require taking a hand off the bar might be
a challenge. I can't recall seeing a bicycle in this area with a
functional turn signal setup.

Lights at the end of handle bars for increased side visability

Retro-reflectors in the spokes work extremely well, because the
pattern of movement is extremely distinctive and drivers immediately
recognise a bicycle (reflectors on pedals are good for the same
reason). Sticking extra lights on means more batteries, more weight,
more maintenance and more to go wrong.

Tirefly lights also seem to work well, and are effective from a
considerable angle. I've seen a local night cyclist who had three of
those per wheel. I only saw him in motion, so I don't know how the
two extras were mounted; I presume that one was on the valve stem as
usual. He used three different colors per wheel. This would not have
been a good setup to try to mix with functional brake lights or turn
signals, though.

it's also possible that I'm busy.