Old March 10th 17, 09:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

Default Shoe Overlap

On 10/03/2017 1:50 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/10/2017 11:14 AM, wrote:
A friend of mine just had a custom bike built and although it fits
great there is a 2 cm shoe overlap of the front wheel. The danger of
this is making a hard turn and trying to straighten out with your foot
then in the way. Criterium racers in particular could do this because
they only stop pedalling at the absolute apex and then start again
with the front wheel still turned.

Anyone else had any experience with this? I remember high siding
because of this. Luckily not in a race to be run over by a hundred
riders.

A known issue but I am very much surprised that his builder didn't
discuss that with the client before starting any metalwork. Usually, the
drawing is reviewed in depth, and revised through several iterations,
before the build.

That's not unusual with a compact frame is it? My Tarmac is like that.
I found out doing a track stand in traffic and got my toe stuck between
the wheel and frame. ouch.

Though I've never had issues when actually moving as my wheel doesn't
turn that much then.