Old March 11th 17, 03:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Shifter cables 1.1mm vs 1.2mm

On Friday, March 10, 2017 at 9:35:48 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/10/2017 5:55 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/10/2017 4:04 PM, ixiz wrote:
I only recently found out that there were 2 diameters and about to buy
a box (100). I hate to buy the wrong diameter - most of my bikes are
campy 9 and 10 speeds and eventually 11.

I am about to purchase a box and split with a friend but unsure which
diameter to purchase.

IS there any guides as to which cables are for what models or just get
the 1.2mm and call it a day.

Do not- and I cannot emphasize this strongly enough - DO NOT install
not-Campagnolo wires into your Ergo shifters[1].

The gear wire heads of the classic era were small, as Campagnolo uses
still. The revisionist modern larger gear wire heads (everybody else who
makes gear systems) will go in, pop down inside the lever and only come
out with extreme effort = time = $$$.

Lack of standardization on such simple things often astounds me. It
shouldn't, because it's so common. But it still astounds me.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Ah but the Campy button is the original standard. The other larger ones were introduce a fair bit later by other companies who do NOT want standardization of components or parts.

Cheers