Old May 8th 09, 01:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Adjusting helmet

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
wrote in message
Hello Everyone. I dug my old bike out of my parents attic after about
10 years of no use. I'm gaining weight and have really missed the joy
rides that stopped ever since I've owned a car. I'm more concerned
about safety than when I used to ride. I ordered a gyro helmet. The
standard won't even go on my head so I had to pick up the larger
size.

Trying to get this thing adjusted is really ****ing me off. No matter
what I do I can still move the helmet up on my forehead. I'm not sure
exactly how snug these things should be. I have the y just under my
ear. I'm a person that can't stand wearing any kind of hat so this
helmet feels like torture. I hope that even if it moves around a bit
it will still do some good. I have it tight enough that it can't come
off my head obviously Fitting these is way more complicated than I
thought. Pull a strap the wrong way and its to tight or loose on the
other side.

You may not have the right head shape for the helmet you purchased.
Bring the helmet back to where you got it and have them try and adjust
it for you and, if they can't get it dialed in right, swap to a
different helmet that you can. Helmets aren't quite as bad as shoes, but
there are still very distinct shapes to, for example, Trek, Giro & Bell
helmets.

I recommend going to whatever place near you has the largest
selection of helmets and trying them on until you find one that's
comfortable on your particular noggin. Around here that's REI, but
YMMV.
And if you are tempted to believe those that tell you there is no
advantage in wearing a helmet, I'll be happy to e-mail you a picture of
what my last one looks like after hitting the road at 20 mph.

Bill (Frumious)

__o | Some Usenet posts tell you more about the poster
_`\(,_ | than they do about the subject.