Old February 6th 07, 02:34 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
tom

Default Cable Quality?

On Feb 5, 4:47 pm, " wrote:
What's the general wisdom on cable quality? In the past I always just
got them at the LBS, where my options were "shifting or braking".
Looking at some online retailers now as well as at a bigger, better,
not-quite-local shop has me looking at options. What's the difference
between a $.99 cable & a $9.99 cable? Are all the brands the same
cable in different packaging, or are a few companies making their own?

Part of me says that I should use XTR cables on XTR parts. Another
part of me says I should spend $.99 instead of $9.99 per cable since I
can't afford the $ I put into this hobby as is.

Thoughts?

Well, for starters, some cable housings are compression resistant, and
some are not. Tom