Old May 8th 18, 01:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

Default Dynamo/LED power conditioning

On 05/08/2018 04:18 AM, wrote:
On Sunday, May 6, 2018 at 2:19:52 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 5/6/2018 12:50 PM,
wrote:
On Sunday, May 6, 2018 at 12:01:24 PM UTC-5, Joerg wrote:

For me the only proper way of lighting a bicycle is with a
rechargeable battery. The LEDs get clean DC and the battery can
be recharged from any source, even a pulsating one. That way
the lights will not dim to "stand light" or go out when waiting
at a traffic light. Why should bicycle lighting be inferior to
car lighting?

-- Regards, Joerg

What F-ing world do you live in where you recharge the lights on
your car? It must be a pretty F-ed up world. On all the cars I
have driven, you turn the switch and the lights come on. There
ain't no recharging the car lights. Rechargeable lights and
batteries. Why not just duct tape a flashlight to your bars.
Then you can stop at any convenience store and buy some new D
batteries and ride forever.

I think Joerg meant that the automobile current from a 12~14VAC
alternator source gets run through a diode bride and then (as
switched by the regulator) through a lead-acid pile.

It's a lot of hardware for a bicycle I agree, but Joerg's seems to
work for Joerg's values of performance and efficiency. Frank & I
prefer a simple 6VAC tire drive dynamo and others extoll USB-LiIon
sets or hub dynamos. World's a big place and people have their own
criteria, which are often inscrutable.

-- Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org/ Open every day since 1
April, 1971

I'm a hub dynamo kind of guy. It just works. Don't even have to
remember to flip the roller against the tire. As long as the front
tire is rolling forward, it works. I agree with this "their own
criteria, which are often inscrutable."

Hubdynamo+senso lights. Don't even have to worry about turning them on
and off.