Old December 30th 16, 04:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joerg[_2_]

Default Age and Heart Rates

On 2016-12-29 16:29, Phil Lee wrote:
Joerg considered Thu, 29 Dec 2016
14:16:14 -0800 the perfect time to write:

On 2016-12-27 13:05, Phil Lee wrote:
Joerg considered Tue, 27 Dec 2016
08:03:05 -0800 the perfect time to write:

On 2016-12-26 13:10, Phil Lee wrote:

[Clarks brake pads]

... Keep an eye on rim wear though -
hard blocks can rip through rims pretty fast.
Of course, they may have improved since my encounters with them, and
you may find they are fine.

A brief spin hinted that the performance is not as good as KoolStop but
I'll see on the next 45 miler into the valley. If the difference is
manageable by pulling harder on the levers it's ok, considering the huge
price difference.

Well, they may improve a bit as they bed in, and the blocks conform
better to the precise shape of the rim.

I shall hope so. We've got a lot of hills here where letting loose is
not an option because of intersections.

43 miles later I have to say the Clarks pads are almost on par with
KoolStop. Can't try them in wet weather for a while because no rain but
in wet weather rim brakes are the pits anyways.

So now my fairly international road bike also has UK parts. "Elite"
brake pads no less :-)

I'll reserve judgment until you find out what they are like in the wet
- I think that may be a higher proportion of the time here than there,
so it may be that what is ok there is less so for utility riding in
the UK (and now I can't ride myself, it's just parts for other bikes
I'm worrying about - principally my kids' bikes).

That'll be a while. The rims did become wet and muddy during a necessary
oddroad stretch and both KoolStop and Clarks reacted the same way, with
compromised braking power (about the same) and an awful grinding noise.
Which is why one requirement for any bike I might ever purchase in the
future is disc brakes front and back.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/