Old January 4th 17, 11:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default Highways: was: Age and Heart Rates

On Wed, 4 Jan 2017 15:40:52 -0500, Stephen Harding
wrote:

The breakdown lanes kept 70+ mph cars at a safe distance, but that constant noise
from tires especially really degraded any enjoyment of generally easy riding.

The noise didn't bother me until I had to call for a ride after
flatting on the sharp debris that gets swept into the breakdown lane
and then sits there until it dissolves in the rain.

I managed to get enough between-semi time to communicate my location,
and gave up using US 30. Except when I'm strong enough to go to
Spring Creek; between Larwill and Spring Creek, there are no alternate
routes. But the rumble strip is (or was; I wasn't strong enough last
summer) non-lethal.

And if I want to get from the bread outlet to Aldi, I have to use 30,
but this is a very short distance, and most of the breakdown lane
doubles as right-turn lane, so debris isn't a problem.

Riprap, on the other hand:
http://www.wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/CENT2016/riprap53.jpg
that slope begins exactly at the edge of the pavement. I measured the
distance between the *not*-non-lethal rumble strip and the edge of the
pavement once, and found it wider than expected -- I think I'd thought
it was eighteen inches and found it to be two feet, but I can't find
my note. Kinder hair raising if I'm tired and have a lot of weight in
my panniers.

I think I prefer the other direction even though it means crossing 30
twice, and both intersections have stop lights.

(30 is much easier to cross out in the country, as one can cross to
the median and wait there for another hole, instead of madly dashing
across six lanes and a median.)

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net