Old April 8th 15, 05:01 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
T0m $herman

Default The comfy chair -- made more comfy

On 3/23/2015 4:31 PM, Mike Causer wrote:
The mesh seat on my 17 year old Speed Ross 'bent had developed a number
of holes where it touched the cords behind, and some of the grommets had
pulled out, so it was in sorry state. A local coach-trimmer said he
could make a new one, but had no idea where to get the mesh material.

So that's where it sat until the thought of spring approaching
generated a tuit.

The tricycles that Peter Ross also made were taken over by Inspired Cycle
Engineering, and knowing Peter quite well I was sure the bike and trike
seats would be the same. So I phoned ICE to see if I could buy some
material.

It turned out that one of the founders of the business had answered the
phone and he said that the early ICE trikes used the same seat that
the later Ross's had, and he thought there were still a couple in a back
shed. Someone was despatched to have a look, and after a comparison of
the positions of the holes we agreed it was a fit. But what of the
price? No 1999 price-list being handy a very modest sum was proposed,
less than half what I'd have been prepared to pay -- and I said so.

Oh well, VAT is on top, and postage, and would you like one of our
current foam inserts that makes it a lot more comfortable? Well, it
would be rude not to, I thought.

That was late Friday afternoon, the parcel arrived the following
Tuesday, and my first chance to ride it was today. Yes, it's a lot more
comfortable!

The foam insert is definitely recommended for anyone with the Ross/ICE
mesh seats. And I think there may be one more new (old-stock) seat
left.

Well done Inspired Cycle Engineering, superb service.

Mike

I believe that Crystal Engineering made the Trice trikes between Peter
Ross and ICE.

--
T0m $herm@n