Old October 1st 17, 06:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Bicycling & health benefits of?

On Sunday, October 1, 2017 at 6:56:32 AM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
We hear a lot about bicycling having health benefits forthe one doing the bicycling. Yet a lot of CASUAL bicyclists are not all that healthy.

So, in order to gain NOTICEABLE health benefits from bicycling:

1a. How long in time does each ride need to be?
1b. What intensity does the bicyclist need to reach?

There might also be mentioned that most people exercise and fail to see any immediate responses and cease. The Saturday group I ride with are all 70+ and one, who just had his attention taken away by a close call with a car hit a 2x4 and went down on his face, is 85 now. He spent a couple of days in the hospital and is presently staying with his sister.

One of the things that urks me is that these people's children generally don't have anything to do with them unless they are getting things in return. My older brother hasn't seen any of his four or five kids from two of his four wives. Of course he doesn't really encourage them either. My younger brother only sees his kids often because he initiates it.