Old March 19th 17, 10:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default The University of Aalborg Study on Daytime Flashing Lights forBicycles.

On 3/19/2017 4:02 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 19 Mar 2017 11:53:38 -0700, sms
wrote:

I know how some people dislike any statements that are based on actual
facts, but the data are pretty clear.

See: https://books.google.com.au/books?id=LvthAgAAQBAJ&pg=PA168

It was interesting that in the Odense study, conducted by Reelight,
Odense Cycle City and the University of Aalborg, accident rates went
down by 32% with the use of daytime lights, but a cyclist's "sense of
security" went up by 85%!

According to the above URL, it "reduced the number of crashed by more
than 30%". Presumably, accidents without an associated crash were not
counted. Also, the study was conducted in 2005 in Denmark, a country
there cycling is far more common than in the US. The accidents were
self-reported which usually means that if someone is guilty of doing
something stupid on their bicycle, they are unlikely to report the
incident. It's also possible that the situation may have changed in
the last 12 years such as newer models by Reelight.

I also don't like terms like "30% reduction". In order to make sense
of that, the actual accident rates need to be disclosed. For example,
out of population of 2000 participants, a reduction from 3 accidents
to 2 accidents is a 33% reduction, as is a reduction from 300
accidents to 200 accidents. The former is bad joke while the latter
is probably statistically significant. Which is it?

The only link I can find to the original study is listed on the
Wikipedia Bicycle Lighting page as footnote 8. However the links to
both the original Danish and English translation are broken. Also, I
would have expected to see a copy of the study on the Reelight web
pile, but couldn't find anything. Duz anyone have a copy or a
functional link?

Oddly, the Reelight FAQ doesn't quite agree with the study:
https://www.reelight.com/en/faq/
"The number of accidents is not higher when it is dark.
However, the risk of being involved in a road accident is
greater at night than during daylight hours. This is why
bicycle lights are so important."

Note that they have a backup function, that continues to flash when
the bicycle is stopped:
"The backup function needs to charge the first time it is in use.
You need to ride the bike for 5-10 minutes for it to charge
fully and so that it will flash for a few minutes after you stop."

Do it thyself flashing tail light:
https://dr2chase.wordpress.com/2013/12/23/lights-for-a-beater-bike/

We've also been here befo
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.bicycles.tech/X0rymhXTgGo

Now I have to go cash my check from Reelight.

Such things are usually done by "loaning" you test samples of the
products, and then "forgetting" to recover them. In theory, you're
expected to declare the value of such samples as income for tax
purposes. Payments of cash or checks are rare unless you are hired as
a consultant.

I read 'lights for beater'. Twice. Then did a page search
for coil, magnet, dynamo and battery. Found nothing. What
powers the lights?

Bonus question- What does the mirror do?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/