Old September 8th 17, 04:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Let the Laughing Begin

On Thursday, September 7, 2017 at 9:47:21 AM UTC-7, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Thu, 7 Sep 2017 07:52:33 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Jeff - tire mechanics don't use any sort of locking head.
With a high capacity compressor and tank a tire fills in seconds.

A few months ago, I watched the local tire dealer prepare and install
a new set of tires on my Subaru:
http://www.lloydstire.com
As I recall, it went something like this:

The mechanic would first mount one tire on the rim and place it next
to each wheel next to the car. He would then connect a hose with a
locking head to the tire, open a valve, and go away to do something
else, as the tire fills on the ground. There was no pressure check at
this point. When fully inflated, he begins to fill another tire,
while the first tire is being mounted on the car. When all the tires
are inflated and mounted on the car, he would go around to all 4 tires
and measure the tire pressure, bleeding off any excess. It was quite
efficient.

I don't recall how long it took to fill an individual tire, but it
didn't matter because the mechanic was busy working on one of the
other tires as it filled (as facilitated by the locking head).

When it stops drizzling, I might ride over there to double check my
observations and fill in any details. Probably Mon or Tues.

Your mechanic is an outlier then. I have 5 tire dealers within two miles of my house. One I have 1/4 mile away that I use for all of my tire work. They remove all four tires and take them over to the mountain machine. They use the mounting machine, use the strap to pull the bead in enough and then fill the tire on the machine and then take it off. The car is on a lift. They do this to all four tires in succession and then mount them on the car and you're finished. They don't pull any hoses around and they don't need to lock a head to the valve. As I said - they have large pumps and pressure storage tanks and the tire fills in seconds.