Old February 23rd 18, 11:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default rubber compounds

On 2/23/2018 3:41 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

To me the intuition is the other way around:
durometer = instrument, as in thermometer,
hygrometer ...

Do you measure temperature in units of
themometers? Do you measure humidity in units
of hydrometers?

I mean, "durometer" sounds like "thermometer",
"hydrometer", and so on (OK, it should be a "d"
in English), so to me, it sounds like
an instrument.

Also, one might wonder why they felt the need
to come up with a new unit for this at all!
Couldn't it be "how much power to penetrate" or
"how much power to reach a distance" or "how
long a distance for a certain power"... (I say
this without ever having used or even seen
a durometer so maybe it doesn't make sense.)

It's all Greek to me:
https://eic.rsc.org/opinion/hygromet...021051.article

and to you as well, probably. Don't mix your Twaddles with
your Brix or Oechsle or Plato ( which, in this case, is
German not Greek)

you're welcome.

--
Andrew Muzi